Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pizza Pie

I uploaded photos off my camera this week and founds some gems that were just too good not to share! These are actually from before Christmas (I know, I know), but better late than never right! ;)


This is when we were learning about fractions. We created a pizza shop called “Gator’s Pizza” (thus the gator hats) and as orders came in, students had to top the pizza’s with “pepperonis” according to requests.



I just got the brightlink in my room midway through this school year and it has been such an incredible  addition! We use it in literally EVERY subject - from bible to reading - and my students are becoming so tech-savy these days. I cannot sing it’s praises highly enough. I can’t imagine going back to teaching without it!


After the pizza shop sent out all it’s orders, we turned our attention to pie. Literally. As in, apple. Here, one of my first grade fellas is slicing it into eighths. 


Then we made our own apple pies, and ordered the steps we took to create them. We made it all from scratch and students measured out amounts of flour, butter etc. to make the dough - some real life fractions! I used a muffin tins so the pies could be individual and students could each experiment with their own spices and sugars. After they came out of the oven, we wrote about it and used ordinal numbers (math skill of the week) to catalog each step.


No comments:

Post a Comment