Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Read to a Friend

We've been practicing a new part of our reading workshops over the past week or so called "Read to a Friend" and it's been a huge hit! Here is how it works...

First, students choose their partner (we spent a whole day just talking about how to choose a partner wisely)! Next, they choose a place to read sitting elbow to elbow, knee to knee, book in the middle. After that, they agree on a book to read. Whoever's book is being read is the person who reads one page aloud first. The second partner then reads the same page aloud. Before moving to the next page, partners take turns asking "What just happened on this page?". I've been so impressed with how smoothly these steps have gone. Many students may be tempted to waste time trying to make decisions and agree, but these students have been so diligent about getting started right away and using their time wisely - something I emphasize every day before reading workshop.





Here are some of the reasons 1st graders shared that they love Read to a Friend (in their own words):

- "If I get stuck on a word my friend can help me."

- "I can choose who I read with."

- "I get to talk about the funny parts of the story if I'm reading with someone."

- "I like listening to someone read to me so I can think about what's happening."




And here are some of the reasons that I love read to a friend:

-Students get to choose their own partners which means that they are often on very different reading levels. This means that one student gets to act as the "coach" which reinforces the reading strategies they already know, while the other student gets to hear fluent reading and gets reading advice from a friend (which many students are far more likely to take to heart when it is coming from a friend).

-Reading the same page twice is great for enhancing fluency as well as comprehension and helps students focus on what is happening in the story rather than rushing to get to the end.

-Even my most reluctant readers get motivated for Read to a Friend... having that extra support from a friend seems to give reluctant readers extra confidence.

-It helps students read with expression! Sometimes the desire to entertain a friend who is listening gives students that extra push to read clearly and use inflection and different voices to make the story more interesting (while making the student a better reader!).





Ask your first grader what they think about read to a friend and I'm sure they'll be happy to share their opinion!




No comments:

Post a Comment